Instructions and eligibility requirements
Application Period and Deadlines
- Fellowship applications for the 2017 Institute will be available online beginning December 2, 2016. Applications must be submitted by Wednesday, February 1, 2017. .
- Two recommendations must also be received by February 1, 2017 Applicants supply the e-mail addresses of recommenders as part of the application, and the LSA solicits the recommendations. Applications should therefore be submitted sufficiently far in advance for the recommenders to be able to submit their letters by February 1.
- Applicants will be informed of the status of their applications in time to meet any Institute registration deadlines.
Who May Apply?
- Applicants must be student members of the LSA. Nonmembers may join here.
- Applicants may be undergraduate or graduate students; graduate students should not have received the PhD before the completion of the Institute.
- Applicants do not need to be US citizens.
- Students need not register for the Institute prior to learning whether they have been awarded a fellowship, but to be eligible to receive a fellowship, if awarded one, a student must register for a full course load: four courses at all times.
What is Required for the Application?
- A statement of purpose of up to 500 words.
- Selection of courses the applicant intends to take.
- List of publications and presentations, if any.
- Academic transcripts, for North American applicants who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate program, a Master's program, or years 1-3 of a PhD program, and for applicants from other institutions if they are available.
- Evidence of English proficiency. Applicants will be asked to provide evidence of English proficiency or describe their experience using the language. Examples of evidence include but are not limited to: native speaker status, study at an institution where the medium of instruction is English, TOEFL/IELTS scores, significant writing in English, or extensive coursework in English.
- Two letters of recommendation will also be required. The names and e-mail addresses of two recommenders are submitted as part of the fellowship application, and the LSA solicits the recommendations.