Instructions and eligibility requirements
Application Period and Deadlines
- Fellowship applications for the 2015 Institute will be available online beginning Friday, December 5, 2014 . Applications must be submitted by 11:59 PM US Eastern Time on Thursday, January 15, 2015.
- Two recommendations must be received by 11:59 PM US Eastern Time on Thursday, January 22. Applicants supply the e-mail addresses of recommenders as part of the application, and the LSA solicits the recommendations.
- Applicants will be informed of the status of their applications by early March, in time to meet any Institute registration deadlines.
Who May Apply?
- Applicants must be student members of the LSA. Nonmembers may join here.
- Applicants may be undergraduate or graduate students; graduate students should not have received the PhD before the completion of the Institute.
- Applicants do not need to be US citizens.
- Students need not register for the Institute prior to learning whether they have been awarded a fellowship, but to be eligible to receive a fellowship, if awarded one, a student must register for a full course load: four courses at all times, in any combination of two- and four-week courses.
What is Required for the Application?
- A statement of purpose of 500-1000 words.
- Selection of courses the applicant intends to take.
- List of publications and presentations, if any.
- Academic transcripts, for North American applicants who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate program, a Master's program, or years 1-3 of a PhD program, and for applicants from other institutions if they are available.
- Evidence of English proficiency. Applicants will be asked to provide evidence of English proficiency or describe their experience using the language. Examples of evidence include but are not limited to: native speaker status, study at an institution where the medium of instruction is English, TOEFL/IELTS scores, significant writing in English, or extensive coursework in English.
- Two letters of recommendation will also be required. The names and e-mail addresses of two recommenders are submitted as part of the fellowship application, and the LSA solicits the recommendations.