LSA 2017 Annual Meeting
The registration for this event is closed.
View Content from the 2017 Annual Meeting
Invited Plenary Address, Colleen Fitzgerald (University of Texas at Arlington). "The Sounds of Indigenous Language Revitalization"
The 91st Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America will take place January 5-8, 2017, at the:
JW Marriott Austin
110 East 2nd Street
Austin, TX 78701
Wondering what to do in Austin when you're not at the Annual Meeting? Click here for some suggestions from the New York Times.
Ever wondered what goes in to planning the LSA Annual Meeting? Click here for answers to some FAQs on this topic.
Annual Meeting Handbook (.pdf)
Public Lectures on Language
Minicourses at the Annual Meeting
Satellite Workshop for Tribal College and University Students and Faculty
Call for Organized Session Proposals
Call for Abstracts for Posters and 20-minute Papers
The Five-minute Linguist
Job Interview Service
Sign Language Interpretation
- Ground transportatoin from the airport
- Airport bus (Ride 6 stops from the airport. Alight at Congress/2nd, across the street from the hotel. Fare is $1.75 each way; exact change only).
- List of ride-hailing alternatives to Uber and Lyft, which do not operate in Austin
- Austin Map Explorer
- Downtown Austin map and events
- Austin wiki with information about restaurants, music, things to do, etc.
- Downtown Austin map with list and location of restaurants (.pdf)
- List of recommended restaurants and activities compiled by local students and faculty at UT Austin (.pdf)
The following plenary events will take place during the 2017 Annual Meeting:
- Thursday, January 5, 7:30 PM: Invited Plenary Address, Colleen Fitzgerald (University of Texas at Arlington). "The Sounds of Indigenous Language Revitalization"
- Friday, January 6, 10:30 AM: Plenary Poster Session
- Friday, January 6, 12:45 PM: Invited Plenary Address, Gennaro Chierchia (Harvard University): "The spontaneous logicality of language"
- Friday, January 6, 7:30 PM: Special Invited Session: The 5-Minute Linguist, Emcee: John McWhorter (Columbia University)
- Saturday, January 7, 10:30 AM: Plenary Poster Session
- Saturday, January 7, 12:45 PM: Invited Plenary Address, Walt Wolfram (North Carolina State University): "Linguistic Accommodation: Critical Strategies in Public Engagement"
- Saturday, January 7, 6:00 PM: Presidential Address, Alice Harris (University of Massachusetts Amherst): "Languages of the Caucasus"
The LSA is pleased to announce a new annual speaker series, Public Lectures on Language, to be held each year on the Sunday afternoon immediately following the close of the Annual Meeting. The lectures feature leading scholars in linguistics and related fields, speaking on topics of interest to both general audiences and LSA members. The goals are to further the LSA’s efforts to promote interest in and information about language to the general public. To read more about this year's exciting line-up of speakers and to purchase tickets, click here.
The following minicourses will take place on Thursday, January 5, before the Annual Meeting proper begins at 4:00 PM.
- Big Data: Complex Systems and Text Analysis. Instructors: Allison Burkette (University of Mississippi), Jacqueline Hettel (Arizona State University), Bill Kretzschmar (University of Georgia)
- Computing Sentiment, Emotion, and Personality. Instructor: Jason Baldridge (University of Texas at Austin)
- Innovative Pedagogy in the Linguistics Classroom. Instructors: Jon Bakos (Indiana State University), Ann Bunger (Indiana University), Lynn Burley (University of Central Arkansas), Elizabeth Canon (Missouri Western State University), Gaillynn Clements (Duke University/UNC-School of the Arts), Sonja Launspach (Idaho State University), Michal Temkin Martinez (Boise State University), Miranda McCarvel (University of Utah)
- Praat Beyond the Basics: Measurement, Manipulation, Automation, and More (Will Styler, University of Michigan)
For more information about the Minicourses, and to register for one, click here.
The deadline for submitting organized session proposals has passed.
Abstracts for regular posters and papers may be submitted via the green "Submit abstract" button at the top of this page from June 1 through July 31, 2016 (login to LSA website required). Please refer to the Call for Abstracts for more information about submitting an abstract and links to sample abstracts.
The Five-Minute Linguist is a high-profile contest during which selected speakers will be judged on their ability to present their research in a brief but informative way. These five-minute presentations should be lively and engaging, delivered without notes on a stage without a podium, with audiovisual effects of the speaker’s choosing. The talks should be directed to a nonspecialist audience, may come from any subfield of the science, and must display qualities that will attract interdisciplinary interest. See a list of finalists for the Five-minute Linguist.
The Five-minute Linguist is sponsored by the Department of Linguistics at the University of Texs at Austin.
Everyone attending the meeting is expected to register. Compliance is important for keeping our fees affordable. Only those who register will be allowed to present papers, use the Job Placement Service, or attend presentations and other functions. Registrants should wear their meeting badges at all times when at LSA Annual Meeting functions.
Preregistration has closed. Onsite registration will take place during the hours noted below.
Preregistration for the 2017 Annual Meeting will be available from September 1 through December 18, 2016.
Preregistration rates are as follows:
- Regular/Emeritus/Life Members: $240
- Student Members: $78
- Under/Unemployed Members: $90
- Nonmember - Regular: $350
- Nonmember - Student: $150
Preregistrants may claim their conference badges, and handbooks at the registration desk beginning at 1:00 p.m. on January 5. Registration will be open from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on January 5, from 8:00 AM. to 7:00 p.m. on January 6 and 7, and from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on January 8.
Any attendees who have not preregistered for the Meeting by the December 18 deadline will need to register onsite during the hours listed immediately above. Onsite registration fees are:
- Regular/Emeritus/Life Members: $310
- Student Members: $115
- Under/Unemployed Members: $105
- Nonmember - Regular: $420
- Nonmember - Student: $175
- Special 1-day Rate: $85
For a nominal fee, the LSA provides private space at the Annual Meeting for organizations wishing to interview job candidates or collect CVs from meeting attendees. Read more about the Job Interview Service here.
Attendees at the Austin meeting who need ASL/English interpretation must notify the LSA Secretariat and register for the meeting by November 13, 2016. Presenters who plan to present in ASL must also notify the Secretariat by that date in order to ensure that interpretation is provided. All requests should be sent to David Robinson, Director of Membership and Meetings, with the words "2017 Meeting ASL Interpreting Request" in the subject line. Please include a list of LSA sessions and/or papers you expect to attend, including plenary addresses, the business meeting, and the Presidential Address. View the meeting schedule here. All requests will be forwarded to the interpreter coordinator for the Austin meeting, who will identify qualified local interpreters, assist with scheduling, and handle day-to-day logistics concerning interpreting.
Attendees who will be bringing children to the Annual Meeting should notify David Robinson no later than December 1 of their intentions. The LSA will make available information about local child care providers and facilitate mutual child care. Annual meeting presenters may be reimbursed up to $100 for child care expenses incurred in conjunction with the Meeting. A Lactation Room will be provided if requested.
The JW Marriott Austin has reserved a block of rooms for those attending the 2017 Annual Meeting. The JW Marriott is one of Austin's newest and largest hotels, and is convenient both to public transportation, major landmarks, and local dining and entertainment options. Read more about why attendees should book with the LSA Room Block for the 2017 Annual Meeting.
The reservation period has closed and reservations may no longer be availble online.
Reservations may be made online or by telephone ((844) 473-3959; reference the Linguistic Society of America meeting) from September 1 through December 14, 2016. The special LSA room rates for the 2017 Annual Meeting are:
Please note that there are currently no more rooms available at the LSA conference rate for Sunday night, January 8. Attendees staying over Sunday night are advised to book the Sunday night portion of their stay at any nearby hotel. All meeting attendees will have complimentary internet access in the meeting rooms whether or not they are staying at the JW Marriot.
The registration for this event is closed.