LSA March for Science Slogan Contest
The LSA is pleased to issue this formal call for slogans to be submitted in our contest, held in conjunction with the March for Science on April 22nd. Submissions are due no later than April 23, 2017.
Please use this form to submit your idea(s) for slogans for the April 22nd March for Science. Multiple submissions are allowed. Winner(s) will receive complimentary registration to the LSA's 2018 Annual Meeting in Salt Lake City. Up to three prizes will be awarded.
Slogan submissions will be evaluated by a distinguished panel of LSA members:
- John Baugh, Washington University in St. Louis
- Jeff Good, the University at Buffalo
- Jessi Grieser, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- John McWhorter, Columbia University
- Dennis Preston, Oklahoma State University
- Laura Wagner, Ohio State University
We encourage those making submissions to consider the following optional suggestions from the panel:
- It should be identifiably “linguistic” to a linguist
- It should be intelligible to a large proportion of the kinds of people who would be at the March and/or would read media reports about the March
- It should be “surprising” in a good way (probably by being humorous)
- It should avoid a high degree of topicality so as to have a longer lifespan as a slogan in other contexts