Status of Women in Linguistics (COSWL)
Established in 1974.
To monitor and advance the status of women in Linguistics.
The work of the Committee includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Monitoring and advancing the status of women in linguistics.
- Proposing to the Executive Committee LSA policies regarding the rights, opportunities, and needs of women in linguistics, as well as evaluating said policies.
- Maintaining liaison with other organizations concerned with the status of women in linguistics and investigating possibilities for cooperating with such groups on specific projects.
- Advocating for the Society's guidelines for nonsexist usage, proposing revisions or additions to the Executive Committee as deemed appropriate.
- Organizing professional development programming to assist women in advancing their careers as linguists.
- Encouraging research on language and gender, as well as gender and sexuality.
- At least 6 members serving three-year terms.
- At least one graduate and one undergraduate student member.
- Emily Nava, Gloo LLC, Chair (2017)
- Rebeka Campos-Astorkiza, The Ohio State University (2018)
- Ellen Broselow, Stony Brook University (2018)
- Yaima Centeno, University at Albany (2018)
- Marianna Di Paolo, University of Utah (2018)
- Joyce Domogalla, Carleton College (2017)
- Laura Jo Downing, Goteborgs Universitet (2018)
- Susan Fischer, City University of New York (2018)
- Harriet Klein, Stony Brook University (2018
- Hadas Kotek, McGill University (2018)
- Monica Macaulay, University of Wisconsin (2018)
- Kathryn Remlinger, Grand Valley State University (2017)
- Julie Roberts, University of Vermont (2018)
- Kristen Syrett, Rutgers University (2018)
- Margaret Thomas, Boston College (2017)
- Mary-Caitlyn Valentinsson, University of Arizona (2017)
- Di Wdzenczny, University of California, Santa Barbara (2018)
- Hong Yan, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2018)
- Igor Yanovich, University of Tübingen (2017)
- Christine Weissglass, Florida State University (2018)
Executive Committee Liaison: Ellen Broselow
Staff Liaison: Alyson Reed
WILMA Liaison: Julie Roberts
More about the COSWL
- Language and Gender Syllabus Collection
- LSA Guidelines for Nonsexist Usage
- LSA Sexual Harassment Policy
- WILMA (Women in Linguistics Mentoring Alliance)
- Other links