To join the Ethics Committee, email David Robinson, Director of Membership and Meetings.
In 2006 the Executive Committee established an ad hoc Ethics Committee with two subcommittees. One subcommittee was charged with drafting new guidelines for the responsible conduct of linguistic research; the other was asked to develop materials to help linguists work with Institutional Review Boards. The committee was formally established as a standing committee in May 2009.
The LSA is committed to helping linguists carry out their research in an ethical manner, given that the discipline receives so much of its data from human beings. The goal of the Ethics Committee is to encourage linguists to actively engage with the ethical issues that arise in the course of their professional activities, and to foster increased discussion of ethics within the discipline.
The work of the Committee includes but is not limited to the following:
- maintaining the Society's Ethics Statement, and overseeing its update as necessary
- posting and maintaining case studies, relevant links and articles, and updates on regulatory developments on the LSA website or through appropriate media
- collaborating with the ethics bodies of other professional organizations
- sponsoring tutorials and other activities at LSA meetings
Membership (by invitation)
At least 6 members plus at least one student member, serving three-year terms.
The committee membership should reflect the methodological diversity of the discipline (e.g., emergent fieldwork, lab experimentation, sociolinguistic research, etc.). Continuity of purpose is facilitated by leadership through a 3-person team of co-chairs, consisting of the current, past, and incoming chair.
Committee Members, 2017
- Olga Lovick, First Nations University of Canada, Chair
- Claire Bowern, Yale University
- Ron Butters, Duke University, Emeritus/TrademarkLinguistics.com
- Jeff Good, University at Buffalo
- Alexandra D’Arcy, University of Victoria
- Marianne Huijsmans, University of British Columbia
- Shari Speer, The Ohio State University
Executive Committee Liaison: Jeff Good
Staff Liaison: Alyson Reed