Committee on Endangered Languages and Their Preservation (CELP)
New! Check out our updated Blog facility, now hosted within the LSA website.
To Join the Committee on Endangered Languages and their Preservation, email David Robinson, Director of Membership and Meetings.
Established in 1992.
The Committee on Endangered Languages and their Preservation (CELP) calls attention to the rapid loss of language diversity worldwide and encourages the documentation and study of endangered languages.
The work of the Committee includes but is not limited to the following:
- Promotes strategies for use by individuals, institutions, and communities to assist and support the maintenance and revitalization of language varieties in language communities at risk of, or currently experiencing, significant language or dialect loss.
- Assists institutions to offer training and degree programs oriented to the preparation of grammars and dictionaries of threatened and poorly documented languages, as well as to the documentation and study of naturally occurring speech of all kinds in communities whose traditional linguistic variety is threatened.
- Advocates for language diversity and the respect of all languages and their users.
- Promotes ethical practices of collaboration and partnership with members of endangered language communities by exploring shared interests and mutually beneficial projects.
- Coordinates activities with other organizations, including the Society for the Study of Indigenous Languages of the Americas (SSILA), the Permanent International Commitee/Comité International Permanent des Linguistes (CIPL), the American Anthropological Association (AAA) and Society for Linguistic Anthropology (SLA), the Consortium of Indigenous Language Associations (CILO), the Consortium for Training in Language Documentation and Conservation (CTLDC), and the Resource Network for Linguistic Diversity (RNLD).
At least 6 members, serving three-year terms.
Committee Structure, 2017
- Senior Co-chair: Andrea Berez-Kroeker, University of Hawaii
- Past Chair: Shobhana Chelliah, University of North Texas
- CELP blog liaison: Kristine Hildebrandt, SIU Edwardsville
- Executive Committee Liaison: Natalie Schilling
- Staff Liaison: David Robinson
- Sub-committee Structure
- Complete list of members
- Get updates from CELP on Facebook or Twitter (@LSA_CELP).
- Follow or contribute to our CELP Discussion Blog
- In February 2015 the LSA passed, by an overwhelming majority, a resolution opposing the use of Native American-themed mascots in sports. Read more about this resolution here
- What other news would we like to post here?
Executive Committee Liaison: Natalie Schilling
Staff Liaison: David Robinson